Seeds of Methodism were planted in this district in the 18th century at the time of much non-conformist debate throughout the country. In 1739, Joseph Williams offered John Wesley a field to preach in (he did not take up the offer). Licenses applied for from the Bishop allowed for preaching in houses. Preachers of different modes of thought and belief were sometimes invited to preach in the Meeting House (later Baxter Church).
Local Methodism really began when a Methodist Society was formed in the new canal town of Stourport in 1780. Kidderminster, Bewdley and Stourport were on Wesley’s list of preaching places. The Kidderminster Society was formed in 1786.
· Mill Street (Wesleyan) Methodist Chapel opened in 1803, was enlarged in 1821 at a cost of £1000 and the congregation grew to a peak of 341 in 1846. It closed in 1974.
· George Street (Primitive) Methodist opened in 1902 (replacing an earlier chapel of 1824) and closed in 1963.
· In 1905, the Kidderminster Wesleyan Circuit opened a church in Birmingham Road; this closed in 1976 (see later).
In 1885, Kidderminster Wesleyans decided to separate from Stourport Circuit and form their own; however, in 1907 the circuits rejoined (single circuits were not viable financially). There were many small chapels around the area each with a proud history and tradition but, in 1932, Primitive and Wesleyan churches amalgamated, bringing all viable chapels of both traditions into one circuit, the Kidderminster and Stourport Circuit. Not everyone was happy about this!
The George Street Chapel that had been closed in 1963 brought about the amalgamation of its Society with the Mill Street Society and became known as Central Methodist Church. This central Methodist Church was itself closed in 1974 to make way for the construction of the town ring-road. This congregation had to be accommodated at Birmingham Road Church until the proposed new church was ready.
The new church opened in 1976 and was called Trinity (an apt name representing the amalgamation of the three Societies). In 2008 an arson attack did serious damage to the sanctuary and necessitated major refurbishment. The opportunity was taken to remodel the sanctuary to make it more suitable for the worship styles of the 21st century.
Today, Trinity flourishes as a church of circa 170 members, the largest in the Kidderminster and Stourport Circuit. It is a vibrant Christian presence in the town and has good working relationships with other denominations
After many years of close association with St Mary's Parish Church adjacent to Trinity we both signed a formal Local Ecumenical Partnership covenant in 2013 to encourage even closer liaison between the two churches